1859 - Construction Began. The church was built of native white wood, known for its weathering qualities. The wood was cut into lumber at one of the nearby sawmills and the boards were fitted into place by hand.
The facade bore a simple platform porch high enough to make it convenient for ladies to step directly from their buggies. Small, square windows of pane glass lined the sides. Inside, the chancel pews were arranged in three sections with two aisles. In the front of the church, the circular pulpit platform extended two-thirds the width of the building, the other third being taken by a small space for Sunday School. The pulpit protruded several feet from the platform's edge. The choir seats were found at the rear of the sancuary in the balcony. The new church was completed and dedicated "to Almighty God" in December, 1860.
As early as 1863, the hand-hewn, wood-shingled roof was repaired. These original shingles and their replacements, in 1904, were made by a local carpenter. The first lighting system was oil bracket lamps extending from the wall. There were three on each side. Electricity was installed about 1928.
In 1871, the choir seats were moved from the balcony to the front, and a new pulpit was made from the same black walnut preserved from the original pulpit made by Mr. William Morous.
In 1890, a furnace was purchased for $90. According to Mr. Elmer Lane, this was a small furnace placed near holes under the church with makeshift vents through which heat might pass. A coal furnace was added in 1904.
In 1904, the church was raised to add a basement. This was accomplished by the sheer strength and efforts of church members operating hand jacks. The excavated building then stood for nearly a year until LeRoy Smith, a man of action, took a crowbar and dismantled the platform in front. The building was then raised by 16 jacks and propped up with railroad ties to such a height that a horse could walk under. With the help of professional masons and all the men of the membership, the basement was formed. The stones were brought from the fields and split by the strongest of men. Among them was the son of a fugitive slave woman who had made her way through the underground railroad to Addison. About the same time, the seating arrangement in the sanctuary was altered to the present center aisle set-up. The plain glass windows were converted to frosted glass and the present stained glass was installed in 1923.
A record player and amplifier were installed in the church tower in 1956, to play recorded carillon chimes calling Somerseters to church each Sunday morning. The chimes were given in memory of Mrs. Florence Leutheuser. The chimes, now computerized, are still calling people to worship today.
Renovations were done in 1953, including a complete redecorating of the sanctuary. The platform in front was changed, with the pulpit being moved to the right side. New lighting and frame, given by Mrs. Louise Bauman, were provided for the painting of Christ in the Garden. The painting was done sometime in the 1930's or 1940's by a local man whose name is thought to be Million.
In 1958, a steeple was erected in memory of Air Force Lt. Chauncey Smith who was killed in Okinawa. The steeple was rebuilt and raised in 1968. A loud speaker system was also installed in memory of Stewart K. Smith. This was the year of the Centennial Celebration when many members pitched in to spruce up the interior and ground of the church. The Pilgrim Fellowship and Women's Fellowship contributed time and money they earned through projects to beautify the church building.
In 1963, an addition was added to the back of the church which included a new kitchen and the room above now known as the Roberts Room for a former pastor, Dr. Windsor Roberts, who came to Somerset Congregational in 1957 and was instrumental in making the Centennial Celebration a very successful event.
In 1965, the front entrance of the building was changed to become much more accessible. The front stairs and basement stairs were enclosed and a classroom was added under the new addition. Huge pillars in the front gave the building a New England appearance. Under the guidance of member Ed Hodgeman, a handicap entrance and elevator were added in 1989.
- An old pump organ used to be in the balcony.
- Adding the basement cost more than the original church.
- In 1928, bare light-bulbs hung from the ceiling.